Skip to main content

Lost!

"You must get these medicines, go down the road and you'll see the pharmacy, also get two syringes..Be quick, we don't have much time, she needs to be injected as soon as possible" Lil Karim nodded enthusiastically. He looked in the dirty pockets of his gray kurta, there was a folded handkerchief, he had tied rs 2000 carefully in a knot in that hanky. Just yesterday Maa had gotten her monthly pay. And here she was lying on a bed in the general ward of a gov't hospital. Is that what a person who works so hard as Maa get for a gift, when I was 5, and got admitted to school, Maa got me a big red ball, such a nice gift, and why did Maa get this?? Karim, though just merely 10 years old had thoughts deep and profound.

He ran off, his dusty kurta flying in the air, the rubber chappal he wore were on the verge of tearing apart, but did that matter to Karim??.. Karim ran amidst the people, since he was just 10, not much big either, people weren't letting him go ahead. And he wasn't even scared. Since he lived just with Maa, he was used to hustle here and there all alone. From one end of this town to the other he knew the roads as good as me.

Just beside the govt. hopsital stood erect a private hospital with lush green lawns. As Karim walked out of the main gate, he saw on on the pavement, a woman not much older than Maa, very nicely dressed sitting comfortably on a wheel chair, beside her stood a girl about the same height as him, she wore a tidy frock. And there from the hospital's main entrance came a big gentleman, he had a white elegant coat on. He must be their doctor, thought Karim.

"Mrs. Shaikh!, you will be perfectly fine, don't worry..hey guriya take care of Mom, ok" He gave this wide smile to the little girl. The girl was so cheerful, she was chattering nonstop.."Mom, you know I planted these jasmines, since you like them, as soon as we reach home I'll show you, and you know, Saba, well, she has gotten you a nice Saree..Oh Mom, I love you".. Karim stared... A Mercedes came along, everyone settled in. In a flash the car vanished.. Blank.. Road visible.. AR PHARMACY.. Suddenly Karim saw the pharmacy shop.. He rushed forward, crossed the road.. "Here, money, list, give me these medicines"... "as soon as possible" the words ring in his mind..echoes throught out..Karim doesnt know where he's heading to. he just ran, one floor..two floors..here is the ward...the bed at the corner...

"Doctor??" No sign..the bed..empty!! no, not empty, covered..White..Fully covered..Wasn't this Maa's bed? ,he thought.. He moved forward, seems like someone's lying there..but why did the doctors cover the face??? He finally removes the cover, heart throbbing, it was almost as if he wanted to deny it all, deny that it was Maa's bed.. As he lifted the cover, he could see it Maa sleeping, Maa smiling.. He jumped back in fright, no.. how???

Somewhere in the background he hears lots of voices.. "Her son was sposed to go and bring the meds, but I think what else could you expect from that brat?? must have joined his play mates in a game of ludo"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't know how to end it..I was leaving it incomplete, do state if the end is written appropriately or not???







Comments

Khalil said…
"From one end of this town to the other he knew the roads as good as me"

I didn't get this sentence. But otherwise nice. Ending abit sad though :(
Jamal Ashiqain said…
He couldn’t get too late just for a few seconds of day dreaming, It looks like it took him about 45 mins to one hour or more to reach back the hospital.

The story should go like. The Pharmacy guys did not pay attention to him, and he kept waiting, a lady helped him get the medicines and when he came back to the hospital his mother was already dead. This lady later took care of this boy who grew up to be a successful man but he still miss his mother.

Also I agree with Ibrahim: "he knew the roads of the town as the back of his palm." Would be better.

Otherwise it is a very good story and very sad as well.
Khalil said…
Whats ludo by the way? Is it that board game that people play?

BTW this story is very similar to one chapter of the book called The Blood Seed by Andrew Ward.

Jamash ur right about the time aspect, but I like the juxtaposition of having the private and government hospital compared, as if saying it's only people with money that live.
Anonymous said…
Ibrahim, I should have used "as good as I (knew)" that'd be grammatically correct..or something else..

you got the point, I was comparing the two hospitals, but still, I believe death can come anywhere..

Jamash, you know Civil and Jinnah hopsitals here.. ward other than emergency ones don't have extra syringes..

When last year I went to Jinnah hospital (I had never been there before) there was no board stating where Emergency is. Me and my brother had to walk all thru the hosp. until we found someone who could tell where emergency was..believe it, its true!!
If death has to come, it comes in private hospitals too..

I was wrong abt time though!! thanks for that..

And Ludo is a board game, Ibrahim.

-Karchiite(sorry sum prob with my comment box!)
Anonymous said…
Ibrahim, :( haven't read that book.. wil do though..:p
Sarah said…
You're a good writer! I liked the ending. Abrupt and sad.
Karachiite said…
Ok, those anonymous ppl are me.. the comment box is workin for me now..

Donno why I make all endings sad..
:(
Karachiite said…
Sweeter thanks for checking outt..

:)
Anonymous said…
awww.. ... a very touching story sis .. good such a sad ending but i must say was going thru ur blog and its very interesting to read all this..
Karachiite said…
I am glad u found it interesting.. thanks.. :)

Popular posts from this blog

It’s a Dog’s Life!!

By Anjum Niaz There’s a dog in our neighbourhood that nobody wants. Actually it’s a bitch. Her litter is on the way, I suspect. The big patch of green bordering my home and the busy road in front is no man’s land (read the CDA) but the lucky homeowners have been gifted the land and told to develop it as best as their aesthetic sense permits. Gardens are abloom all around my garden (says who Islamabad will run dry?) which stands out for its pedestrian look, only because my landlord cares not a whit for the patch. But the dog does. She has dug a cradle under the tangled bushes and lies there unobserved by passersby on the street. I worry. What if the puppies — God knows how many — invade my space and arrive uninvited in my garden. Their mother may not live to feed them. She’s doing poorly. When she’s not sleeping, she’s scratching herself all over to get rid of the ticks and fleas that infest her body. The vicious summer heat has parched her. The sun is relentless. Down the road, I watch

Memoirs of a Lost Soul!!

It was 9 p.m. I was making rotiyaan in the kitchen.. the same way you had taught me back when I was in grade 6th. How could I ever forget that. Kneaded the dough in that very way, and started making the rotiyaan.But Karachi's hot weather and taway ki aag doesn't make the kitchen exactly cool, and hence a drop of sweat trickled down my forhead, moving to my eyelashes, and standing there at the edge, like dew on the edges of a leaf. I unknowingly looked to my left with a smile just to find the grey tiled kitchen staring blankly and coldly at me. I had expected you to be there watching me do the stuff, but how could you be there when you were so far far way, in a place where I hadn't even set foot in. You'd say, 'oh, garmi lag rahi hai na!!' and try to take the rolling pin from me, but I didn't give in so easily. The sweat drop finally dropped mingling with the tear drops. As for me, I was left in the past. You!! who never left me alone. You!! who never even le

The New Leaf!!

Naveed twisted on the floor, rolled from one side to the other. At times, he folded the pillow in two, and once he just held it in his hand, there were still five freakin' minutes to go before the dial struck 4. Still, quite a lot of time left before the azan for Fajr would echo throughout his town. Naveed, unlike most people in dirty old Karachi, was one of the few who spent the night thinking what happened today. Today wasn't exactly good. Seemed like Abba was really angry. Well, what could he do?? It happened at the breakfast table. Naveed as usual woke up at 12:30 p.m. took a shower, offered Zuhrain , and on to the table, his breakfast table, where as it was Abba's luncheon time. Abba usually took lunch to work, but this afternoon he wasn't feeling good, so came home just in time to see Naveed sit at the table yelling, "Amma, mera anda paratha ???" Abba was furious. "Nido, is this the time for an anda paratha ???" "Aa.. Abbbaaaaa!! Well...