Skip to main content

Karachi and Karachiite...

I am driven past the same old roads, those very streets I grew up in, those very streets I saw children play in. As the cars struts along the road, I can't help not noticing that the badboo wala morr still has that same carpet shop, venus carpets... The juice spot is the same... The only thing that has changed is probably my perception, i still love my city, even though karachi, you are now shedding blood, i'd love you more if you could just stop that.

During evening, as I lay out my bed, the manja as we used to call it before, I smile at myself, fearless me, hehehe... Two or three lizards like to drop by for a hi, and a big giant cockroach wanted to sleep with us :p yucki as AJ puts it.. The funniest bit is that AJ calls the typical lota as a teapot, I wanted to burst out laughing, but if I had laughed, he couldnt have said what he said, "oh, its a washroom pot ya!" My bubloo gabloo januuu baby...

Shaam mein having chai in the chota sa verandah is a blessing. Aisa lagta hai there is nothing wrong outside the boundary of my house, the green leaves cover it all. The stray cats make me feel its much their house as ours. The plants afresh with flowers, our children riding their toy cars, n bicycles, and the blue sky, what a view..

Aur phir, eating my favourite chana chaat, is a taste out of dubai atleast... Heheh... Kya keroon bachpan se yehi chaat khaya hai, aur koi bhaata hi nahi...

Meeting my cousins is one more thing I truly enjoyed, having a sleepover after ages with my chotu as well was indeed fun, the lights going out just when we were putting our kids to bed, then opening the window to let fresh air in... Teen baje samosay fry kerna, chai ke sath unhe nosh kerna, aur phir gadhe ghoray bech ke so jana is awesome once in atleast 5 years..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s a Dog’s Life!!

By Anjum Niaz There’s a dog in our neighbourhood that nobody wants. Actually it’s a bitch. Her litter is on the way, I suspect. The big patch of green bordering my home and the busy road in front is no man’s land (read the CDA) but the lucky homeowners have been gifted the land and told to develop it as best as their aesthetic sense permits. Gardens are abloom all around my garden (says who Islamabad will run dry?) which stands out for its pedestrian look, only because my landlord cares not a whit for the patch. But the dog does. She has dug a cradle under the tangled bushes and lies there unobserved by passersby on the street. I worry. What if the puppies — God knows how many — invade my space and arrive uninvited in my garden. Their mother may not live to feed them. She’s doing poorly. When she’s not sleeping, she’s scratching herself all over to get rid of the ticks and fleas that infest her body. The vicious summer heat has parched her. The sun is relentless. Down the road, I watch

The New Leaf!!

Naveed twisted on the floor, rolled from one side to the other. At times, he folded the pillow in two, and once he just held it in his hand, there were still five freakin' minutes to go before the dial struck 4. Still, quite a lot of time left before the azan for Fajr would echo throughout his town. Naveed, unlike most people in dirty old Karachi, was one of the few who spent the night thinking what happened today. Today wasn't exactly good. Seemed like Abba was really angry. Well, what could he do?? It happened at the breakfast table. Naveed as usual woke up at 12:30 p.m. took a shower, offered Zuhrain , and on to the table, his breakfast table, where as it was Abba's luncheon time. Abba usually took lunch to work, but this afternoon he wasn't feeling good, so came home just in time to see Naveed sit at the table yelling, "Amma, mera anda paratha ???" Abba was furious. "Nido, is this the time for an anda paratha ???" "Aa.. Abbbaaaaa!! Well...

Memoirs of a Lost Soul!!

It was 9 p.m. I was making rotiyaan in the kitchen.. the same way you had taught me back when I was in grade 6th. How could I ever forget that. Kneaded the dough in that very way, and started making the rotiyaan.But Karachi's hot weather and taway ki aag doesn't make the kitchen exactly cool, and hence a drop of sweat trickled down my forhead, moving to my eyelashes, and standing there at the edge, like dew on the edges of a leaf. I unknowingly looked to my left with a smile just to find the grey tiled kitchen staring blankly and coldly at me. I had expected you to be there watching me do the stuff, but how could you be there when you were so far far way, in a place where I hadn't even set foot in. You'd say, 'oh, garmi lag rahi hai na!!' and try to take the rolling pin from me, but I didn't give in so easily. The sweat drop finally dropped mingling with the tear drops. As for me, I was left in the past. You!! who never left me alone. You!! who never even le